Monday, July 12, 2010




This composition began as I started to sketch a girl in my studio who was busy working on her canvas. There was something very Indian and delicate about the way she had worn her salwar kurta, her long hair tied in a plat and the dangling earrings. As I looked around for objects that would match that ethinic feeling, I saw a tanpura lieing in the room.....I've always wanted to make a brick wall, so decided to have the girl looking over the brick wall and the tanpura placed against it........as though the girl had just gotten up to look at the evening sky after a day at rias with her music. As the picture began to come to life I added the colourful birds and the money plant on the side as an extension of the girl's beauty itself....and her slippers off to indicate the comfort and groundedness of the girl with nature...........

Sweetness filled within, she looked out,
So beautiful this creation of the creator.....
To merge her only longing,
To become one with that she loved...
Was sweetness simply the essence? Awareness the only way?

No comments: