Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Joys of Sketching.....


Have started doing some still life drawing now. For the past year I had been experimenting with colours, playing with curves and forms of abstract paintings. I really enjoyed giving my feelings and emotions form and colours. But for the past while I was feeling a void.....as though something in me was feeling stuck because of my lack of drawing skills. I approached many people for learning drawing, but most of them said one doesnt need to learn drawing to do abstract. However, sometimes there was this feeling of being stuck.....because sometimes I simply wanted to draw, not necessarily express a feeling or sometimes I wanted to add the elements of shading and shadows to my work. I looked alot on the net and at some books for inspiration. A book by Alwyn Crawshaw...."You can paint still lifes"....was very interesting. I realized that creating still life compositions was itself a beautiful process and have really fallen in love with shading and shadows.....it is so beautiful to see how the light falls on objects, the shades depth creates, the tint of glass, the shine of steel, the shadows glass makes......Its exciting.......to draw the world around!

3 comments:

Kannan.V said...

been following ur drawings for quite some time, fantastic work of art, this one is even more wow, it gives a 3D feel to it.

Shivani....... said...

Thank you Kannan....your words are very motivating....

Anonymous said...

Heyy! Im Marissa. I love your blog! Your art work is fantastic.Ah-mazing. Anyways, i followed your blog, so maybe you can follow mine?:D

http://iwuvyoubunches.blogspot.com/